The Intermediate Course is required for all persons with duties including any of the following activities:
Responsible for supervising the placement and field maintenance of traffic control devices, excluding temporary barriers.
Responsible for inspection of the placement or operational function of MOT devices, excluding temporary barriers.
After completing the Intermediate Course, the student will be able to:
Select the appropriate Design-Standard Index Drawing(s) for your Maintenance of Traffic Plan.
Correctly place, maintain and remove temporary traffic control devices.
Perform field maintenance of work zone traffic control devices.
Inspect placement or operational functions of work zone traffic control devices.
Instruct individuals in flagging.
Intermediate Maintenance of Traffic qualification is required for any person placing temporary traffic control devices or relocating devices in or alongside the roadway to implement a traffic control plan to route roadway users including pedestrians and bicyclists safely around work operations. Responsibilities include:
- Read and understand roadway temporary traffic control plan
- Setup cones, drums, or other traffic control devices as depicted on traffic control plan
- Maintain and replace traffic control devices in work zones, as needed
- Recognize dangerous driver behavior in work zone and notify Worksite Traffic Supervisor
- Shift traffic control devices, as needed for construction phasing operations
- Take down cones, drums, or other traffic control devices work zones
- Stop, release, and slow traffic including pedestrians and bicyclists using approved devices
- Guide traffic through work zone transitions
- Communication with additional flaggers in work zone
- Identify dangerous situations and warn work crews
- Ability to physically stand for long periods and move quickly
- Be vigilant to approaching traffic, work crews, and phasing during construction operations
Your Office (call to schedule)